Saturday, July 4, 2009

Some money, and lots of time!

I got the idea for this post after listening to my neighbour, whom I think, is a bit of a Communist :D

There are 3 things, according to him, one can do when he/she has some money to spend in the pocket. I have elaborated more on each thing.

  1. Buy food: This, everyone always does. Being Bangalorean, one loves eating. No second thoughts. Drop into the nearest Darshini ( small restaurants where you get good food ) and order a Masala Dosa + coffee. That coffee is "by-two" if you have company and don't want to spend 6 more Rupees. If you are a bit more posh, and have more money of course, you go to Pizza Hut and order a pizza. For me, either way, I return home and pester mum to give something more.

  1. Buy clothes! : Yes, that's what he said. But one doesn't generally buy clothes out of pocket money. But, by any chance if you have forgotten to spend it and have saved it, one may buy clothes. Again, Bangaloreans look out for big red banners that say SALE! 50% OFF!!! But let's not get carried away, anything greater than 50% is considered too cheap and mediocre!

  2. Buy books: This, people don't generally do. One considers that a waste of precious pocket money, which was supposed to be spent on a burger! But personally, a book is a pretty good investment. It pays back in the long run. Food, you eat and throw out next morning ( :P ). Clothes, you wear for a few months and give it to someone poor or throw away. But books, one can treasure it!

Now, heeding his advice, I had Rs. 100 with me today morning. I had just eaten a Dosa with an uncle of mine! So, I didn't want to buy food. Not clothes also, since it takes a lot of time for me to make a simple choice. No, I went to a near-by book shop, a second-hand book shop for my Bangalorean instincts, and bought 'The White Tiger' by the Mangalorean Aravind Adiga. I found that the 100 Rupee book is pirated, but luckily no pages are missing and the Xerox is legible enough! But the Xerox-wala hasn't done good enough job. By skimming through the pages, I found out that he has xeroxed an ant on Page 314! R.I.P ant!


2 comments:

  1. hmmm but i will always go for food over clothees and book.....
    well its all about tastes buds for us indians isnt it

    ReplyDelete